Diesel trucks are the workhorses of a wide range of industries and are vitally important to the economies of nations around the world. A diesel truck mechanic must have a thorough understanding of large diesel engines as well as the hydraulic, transmission, electrical and mechanical systems on this equipment. They diagnose, troubleshoot and repair heavy trucks of any make and keep them operating efficiently, safely and reliably year after year. Diesel truck mechanics also know how to operate grinders, drill presses, welders, cutting torches, and other metal fabrication tools typically found in workshops.
There are several core skills you need to make a career as a diesel truck mechanic. Your training should include:
- Diesel Fuel Injection Systems.
- Diesel Engine Training.
- Computerized Truck and Bus Systems Management.
- Truck steering, suspension, brake and transmission systems.
Qualifications for Diesel Truck Mechanic Jobs
- Verifiable work history.
- Commercial driver’s license.
- Clean driving record.
- Certification by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
- Certification as a master medium/heavy truck mechanic.
- Technical degree or equivalent on the job experience.
- Strong understanding of diesel engines and hydraulic, electrical and electronic systems.
Mechanics Hub has built North America’s largest active network of qualified and reliable heavy truck mechanics and the industries that need them. If you’re an employer seeking skilled diesel mechanics, contact us today for all your staffing needs. If you’re a heavy truck mechanic interested in taking your career to the next level, browse our job listings and submit your resume today!