Dearth of jobs or just not usually advertised?

Mechanics Hub Forums Career + Skills New to the Trade/Getting Started Dearth of jobs or just not usually advertised?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Sawyer 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

As I stated in my first post, I want to get into heavy equipment. However, I’ve been researching as much as possible including the job market. I live in the Adirondacks in northern NY State and due to family obligations, my wife having a good career as a teacher at the school in town etc., I am not able to relocate if and when I achieve my goal. I have noticed that there are few jobs in this field within a 100 mile radius and the vast majority seem to be out west or down south. Did anyone else have this issue? I know that I don’t need a job in the field just yet and anything can change within the time it takes to complete the 2 year program but it is a bit discouraging. Does it seem foolish to pursue this career? I really want to work on the big machines but I’m also concerned there will be nothing for me. If I am able to complete the John Deere tech program, should a dealership job not pan out, are the skills applicable to other makes and models?

#27357 Reply

I would suggest looking at the highest demand for heavy equipment jobs in your area. Is there mines, ag/harvesters or logging close to you? If it is your passion to work on the big guys then that would be the route I would go, research like your life depended on it. Equipment repair can turn into a lot of travel especially if you want to make top dollar. If your a M-F , 7-4 shop guy you probably will have to settle for less $$$

#27356 Reply

That’s the one tidbit no one mentions when talking about the trade. Getting the better paying/more desirable jobs almost always involves relocating. My first few years in the trade were anchored in one city and potential employers were laughing about the fact wages were stagnant and they would gladly pay their mechanics less if the market dictated it. That contempt just brings the trade back to ‘grease monkey’ status. When we decided to try Ft. McMurray, I was blown away with the welcome mat they rolled out. Different people are asking “is there anything you need? What can we get you?” Worlds apart from the local scene back home.
    So you’re probably going to have to leave home to see real success, or at least commute. I did that for almost two years, fly in to Ft. Mac for 3 weeks then home for a week. Still netted over 100K doing it that way, double the $$ back home.

#29017 Reply

that is one way to put it having to relocate. But if leaving your wife behind is a very big concern you can work for two places one being full time and the other being a side job type of thing, You”ll travel less and you still get to your family every night.

#29154 Reply

Ya, you gotta have a tight relationship to make that work, for sure! Two people that are focused on the prize could pull it off.

#29157 Reply

John Whelan
    Participant

I did 4 weeks in one weekend back home for 6 months in Fort St John. Married no kids wasn’t a hardship but got really homesick. It depends on your priorities…I knew it was a temporary thing so I knew the end would come. Relocating really opens up the doors …big time!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Dearth of jobs or just not usually advertised?
Your information: