diesel engine…. purpose of oil

Mechanics Hub Forums Career + Skills New to the Trade/Getting Started diesel engine…. purpose of oil

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Alex Smith 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alex Smith
    Participant

Hello. So as thr title says, wondering what oil does in a diesel. I know that in a gas engine oil is mostly for lube and that the diesel engine uses oil pressure to operate, but my question is how? Does the oil operate as a fluid clutch? Or something similar? Thanks in advance

#29239 Reply

xiaobo li

use oil pressure to operate? different diesel engines have different operate principle ,i think you said used oil pressure to operate is a HEUI.other engines don’t use oil to operate.

#29249 Reply

John Whelan
    Participant

The engine oil pump feeds the high pressure oil pump in the HEUI (hydraulic electronic unit injector) system which operates each injector and it’s injection cycle actuated by a solenoid. I found a youtube video below.

#29252 Reply

Alex Smith
    Participant

thanks for the insight John,. Why isn’t the injection cycle performed with the use of cam shafts? Is it more efficient?

#29254 Reply

John Whelan
    Participant

No problem Alex…..the advantages of the HEUI is a much higher fuel pressure with a common rail. There are fewer moving parts in the valve train and the higher fuel pressure helps with fuel economy and emissions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: diesel engine…. purpose of oil
Your information: