How will transition to electrical alternatives effect 310T and 421A trades?

Mechanics Hub Forums Career + Skills New to the Trade/Getting Started How will transition to electrical alternatives effect 310T and 421A trades?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mechanics Hub 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gattaca
    Participant

Hi,

I want to make a career change into either 310T truck and coach technician or 421A heavy duty equipment technician. However, I keep hearing in the news about the raise and transition to electrical trucks and heavy duty equipment. How will this effect either of these trades since they are both diesel engine based? Will there be a new classification of trades for electric trucks or heavy duty equipment? I really don’t want to enter either of these trades and only to find out my job will be phased out in the near future like my current career choice. If anyone knows anything or have any insight on this please let me know.

Thanks

#44876 Reply

aaron

In as much as these trades are based around Diesel power, my time in the field has been more like 20% diesel work and 80%(or more) everything else.

While the motive power may change, most of the other equipment is going to stay the same. Whether its an electric motor spinning the pumps or a diesel, youre still going to spend plenty of time doing hydraulic and electrical diagnoses in the 421A field.

As for 310T a lot of the braking, suspension and frame components are unlikely to change drastically. There will still be plenty of work to do.

Until they figure out how to make robots that can squeeze into every unpleasant place we do, our job security is pretty good. Go for it!

#44975 Reply

Mechanics Hub
    Keymaster

Great insight Aaron, and we 100% agree with this assessment. If anything, we see mechanics becoming a lot more specialized with electrical and computer diagnostics in order to keep up with the technology. Skilled trades, especially in mechanics, is a great career choice and offers far superior job stability than typical “office” jobs. #TeamSkilledTrades

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: How will transition to electrical alternatives effect 310T and 421A trades?
Your information: