I will be servicing heavy duty cranes and want to know about EP2

Mechanics Hub Forums Cranes Grove I will be servicing heavy duty cranes and want to know about EP2

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lorink 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

lorink

Working part time for a Mobile LOF company, we are taking on bigger equipment from time to time. One of them is a Grove 98 ton rt series rough terrain crane. We will be using EP2 grease. I called manitowoc distributor and they did not know the “chemical name” for this type of grease. Since I am a stickler for using the right type of oil or grease all the time, my employer is going to his local automotive parts store to pick up grease. I want to make sure “It is the right kind” so, if anyone knows who makes this grease, and what is its chemical composition would be great 🙂

#27905 Reply

lorink

I found some specifications on the grease. Seems it is lithium based with calcium thickeners.
    From mobile one.
    Formulated using an advanced lithium complex soap thickener for higher operating temperatures – Ensuring use at higher temperatures than possible with greases made with most other soap types

#27914 Reply

Ben
    Participant

what kind of cranes you working on? We run Link belts. We has 2 LS98s 1 LS108 1 LS118 track cranes we have 3 mobile cranes our newest is a new htc 8690 link belt. We use shell grease on them all never had any trouble. You don’t need to use the fancy shit they sell. use a good quality grease and be done with it. All our Link Belt reps say the same use a good grease. It will save you time trying to find 20 doller tubes of grease when shell is the same shit. belive me our old crawler cranes ar from the 50s we put thousands of hours on them

#27922 Reply

It’s nice to see that your concerned about doing the job correct.EP2 is a rating but I agree with mintysmoving it’s better to grease often,even expensive grease wears off.

#28086 Reply

Jim Owen

I’m sure there will be those that would be very insulted that someone might say “It’s all the same s–t.” Lubrications and lubricants are becoming more specialized all the time.

I’m sure all of you have heard that you should not mix engine oils. Different oil suppliers may use the same base stock, and the primary difference between brands is the additive package, which may be up to 25% of the volume. The additives can react to each other and result in serious problems.

Greases have the same characteristics. Greases are basically oil with additive packages that include thickeners to hold the grease in place.

EP-2 (extreme pressure,grade 2) that allows for pump-ablility in moderate temperatures; EP-1 would be skinnier, for colder climates; EP-3 would be thicker, and less likely to squeeze out in hot temperatures

Yes, you need to be selective in your greases; and once you have made your selection you should stick with that choice to avoid incompatibility problems.

#28088 Reply

You have got check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com! For those of us with an insatiable thirst for knowledge, this website is loaded with info on lubes. Mostly motor oils but also lots of technical info on greases. I was able to answer a bunch of my questions on synthetic vs. mineral at this website.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: I will be servicing heavy duty cranes and want to know about EP2
Your information: