MaxxForce Diesel Engine Troubles and Solutions

Mechanics Hub Forums Diesel Engines International (Navistar) MaxxForce Diesel Engine Troubles and Solutions

This topic contains 42 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Scott 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

John Whelan

Dan
    Yes you will have nothing but trouble with these engines. The first few posts on this topic I go in to detail on what our fleet went through.

#49521 Reply

John Whelan

If you are using your engine brake during deceleration it needs high pressure oil to run along with your injectors so the demand from the high pressure oil pump is high. Are there any codes? A faulty high pressure oil sensor or low injector control pressure will cause a problem. If you can get someone with ServiceMax Pro software they could connect to your engine and go for a ride with you and monitor the injector control pressure when the engine cuts out and check for codes.

#49522 Reply

John Whelan

How much oil are you using? It could accumulate in the DPF but it would plug up quickly and most likely produce an engine code. Have you done a parked regen lately? That would show some smoke for sure since temperatures get up to around 1000 degrees.

#49524 Reply

John Whelan

If you have a Cummins or Caterpillar dealer they may be able to test your oil. Unless there’s a private company in your area that does it? I send my samples out of town because Castrol who supplies our bulk oil pays for it.

#49523 Reply

John Whelan

If you refer to my first post here you will see that there are definitely issues with the MaxxForce. What kind of work did this truck do? It does not have a lot of mileage but I would talk to the previous owners and get there opinion. Parts are expensive and the components need to be cleaned like sensors, EGR valve, turbochargers (there’s a kit available), DPF. We’re running school buses 4 hours a day 9 months a year and we’ve rebuilt close to half of our 18 MaxxForce engines. Don’t buy this truck and look for a good used Cummins ISB with an Allison auto trans.

#49525 Reply

John Whelan

Navistar eventually went to SCR when they could not meet emissions with the EGR system of old. Too late…I would walk away from any diesel that has a MaxxForce emblem on it. Go with Cummins their SCR system is much more superior than anybody else.

#49526 Reply

John Whelan

Have you done a compression test? Any blow by? A bad injector would give you an engine code.

#49528 Reply

John Whelan

Do you know of a good truck shop that has the MaxxForce engine software? I would recommend finding someone to hook up the lap top and analyze your fuel pressure and injector control pressure. Leaks in the high pressure system are common or a faulty high pressure oil sensor will cause power loss. But usually a bad sensor will trigger an engine code.

#49628 Reply

darrel brown

will not start fuel filters ok it is a 2010 maxxforce 13

#49663 Reply

Terence

I’m suspecting we as owner operators have been the victims of dealers that realized the companies that leased their equipment were willing to take their chances in court by breaking their contracts because of the failure of the engines, so in a last attempt to gain some value out of the trucks, they sols them off on to the public, knowing about all the trouble that was to come, BAD BUSINESS!

#49791 Reply

John Whelan

Yes taking a chance is the operative phrase. Worry about all of the lawsuits later. We are literally nursing all of our 18 MaxxForce engines along. Changing oil at 5000 km / 3000 miles has made a big difference reducing soot and viscosity which prevents the injection system from failing. Most of them are spares units to keep the mileage down.

#49863 Reply

zig

2010 maxxforce Dt. combustion in cooling system. removed pipe behind head and ran engine to operating temp. and pressure tested overnight. i cannot get the egr cooler to leak visually. the same year tractor had the same symptoms just a little worse and it turned out to be low liner protrusion on cyl 2. any thoughts on these egr coolers pushing combustion into the coolant without visually seeing any muddy soot or coolant running out of it? any feedback is appreciated

#49885 Reply

John Whelan

Zig

I have seen several of our DT models leak combustion in to the cooling system. Usually the coolant blows out of the fill/surge tank and the alarms and engine code for low collant alerts the driver. If the coolant can be topped up and the rad cap left loose the driver can make it back to the shop.

What we do to troubleshoot is go on a road test with a 0-30 psi pressure gauge adapted to the rad cap. The MaxxForce uses a 20 psi cap so if the pressure builds above that the EGR is toast. The normal operating coolant pressure is around 7 – 8 psi FYI.

#50067 Reply

david bowling

2012 maxxforce dt466 starts has no trottle response till it runs a while then has no power or fault codes. clean both turbos,fuel regulator , fuel pump , filter have been replaced. also new ipr

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
Reply To: MaxxForce Diesel Engine Troubles and Solutions
Your information: