What’s your tool box worth?

Mechanics Hub Forums Tools & Diagnostic Equipment General Discussion What’s your tool box worth?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  bruce f. price 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

dave

What is the dollar value of your tools and how long have you been collecting?

I talk to people all the time who throw out astronomical numbers as to how much their tools are valued at, I always think two things

1)Do you actually need that many tools or could you do with a smaller amount

2) Are they actually worth that much or is it a bit of an exaggerated figure?

If you have a solid tool box that you are proud of take a picture of it and post it here, lets see who has the best tool collection.

#26627 Reply

Ben
    Participant

Are you considering sentimental value? Baby_new_tools.jpg

#26628 Reply

I bought my snap on cabinet and roll chest used about a decade ago for $4000. I added a locker cabinet to the side and also have a beach roll cabinet and top chest they were $700 new.
    My replacement cost would be $65000 before tax for all tools and boxes. I have spent around $50000 no exageration.
    It is 20 years accumulation. If I had to replace them and bought cheaper good quality stuff and only bought certain things Snap on I would need at least $40000 before tax.
    I work in a shop that has next to nothing so Yes I need most of them. There isn’t anything I haven’t used.

#26629 Reply

I wouldn’t dream of taking a picture of my toolbox because it’s just not that appealing to look at.I have been gathering tools for well over 20 years,and in those years I have bought all brands from Snap-on to Mastercraft.I would love to own all expensive tools but due to being a field mechanic it’s not economical to buy them and either lose or modify them while out in the field.I find that all the tools I own come in handy one time or another.One more thought,tools don’t make the technician.

#26632 Reply

jeff bell

when i put all my boxes beside each other i have approx 28 ft of wall space used up,
    having said that i strongly abide by the 3 times rule(if i have to borrow something 3 times i buy it for myself)
    also i dont like to track down shop tools (at all)
    so i dont have a very pretty set of boxes, but it is very comeplete!
    i evaluated it for insurance purposes and priced it all out to replace, comparable product and suppliers
    ………….247,000 frigging dollars!
    holy crap,
    i think i’m a tool whore

#26649 Reply

WHOA! 247,000 frigging dollars.. you are a Tool Institution Buddy!

All of the company I worked with provide the big tools and expensive equipments, my personal toolbox back home contains only the basic tools and it only worth less than 1000 dollars. Here in Saudi, my company issued me tools and equipments worth about 5000 dollars, I could request for replacements of damaged tools and equipments but I have to pay for every piece I lost…

#26653 Reply

jeff bell

like i said
    i am a tool whore, this wasent bought lately, its taken me 25 years to get this much, nobody has ever supplied me with tools (except for special dealership ones) come to think of it even then i ended up buying some special sockets (so i wouldnt have to waste any time looking for the shops)
    its only a problem if you admit it……………
    right?

#26667 Reply

I not only have a set of tools at work but I also run a shop at home.My most valuable stuff is home,maybe…. 6,ooo at home 2,500 at work, for sale today!.50 cents gets all!

#50366 Reply

Colleen Parobek

I have inherited a Snap On Tool Chest with (3) pieces
    Top is Special Edition Rick Mears KR-573D, bottom is KR557E and side cabinet is KR274C
    Can somebody please help to figure the value of these? I don’t want to keep them but don’t want to just give away. Also, the side cabinet appears to have something broke off in the keyhole, any ideas on how to get that out? Thanks,
    My Uncle’s Niece

#50828 Reply

Kira D Turner

I have a orange snap on tool box with side cabinet and a wood top how much you think it’s worth? I find it’s worth 10k or more but everyone is saying I’m wrong I need it sold

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: What’s your tool box worth?
Your information: