City: Fort McMurray
College WebSite: http://www.keyano.ca/
Mechanic Programs: Heavy Equipment
FINNtech – Heavy Equipment Technician Diploma Program Summary:
Keyano is pleased to introduce a new collaborative program with Finning. This 20 month diploma program will allow students to acquire first hand theory and technical training focused on Caterpillar equipment. Each successful applicant will receive an acceptance award on the first day of class.
Students who complete the program with an average of 80% or better, and who are then hired by Finning and remain with them for two years, will be given a valuable, full-stocked toolbox. Should a student achieve an overall average of 70-79%, a toolbox will be provided at half the cost.
This program provides an opportunity for entry into this career field by removing what is sometimes a barrier of securing an employer contract. Students complete 5 rotations of time equally split between technical training and paid work terms. In essence, students will go to school for 2 months, work for 2 months (earning while they are learning); and will do this for 5 sessions totalling 20 months.
Upon completion of this program students who successful complete the program will have obtained a Heavy Equipment Technician Diploma from Keyano College and will have 20 months and 1800 hours recognized towards their apprenticeship. Students who complete the program with an average of 80% or better, and who are then hired by Finning and remain with them for two years, will be given a toolbox valued at approximately $10,000. Should a student achieve an overall average of 70-79%, a toolbox will be provided at half the cost.
Program Contact Details:
Email: [email protected]
Heavy Equipment Technician Program Summary:
Apprenticeship is post-secondary education with a slight deviation from the normal experience. Apprenticeship begins with finding an employer. Employers hire apprentices and enter into an Apprenticeship Agreement to support and tutor the apprentice while working towards their Journeyperson status. Approximately 80% of an apprentice’s time is spent on the job under the tutelage of a certified journeyperson. The other 20% involved attending technical training at their technical training provider of choice – such as Keyano College.
To become certified journeypersons, apprentices must learn theory and skills, and they must pass examinations. Requirements for certification; including the content and delivery of technical training are developed and updated by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board.
The term of a Heavy Equipment Technician is four years (four 12 month periods) that include a minimum of 1,500 hours of on-the-job training and eight weeks of technical training each year.
Graduates from the program will be able to:
• Diagnose repair, and maintain by skills and knowledge gained through training and experience any of the working parts of diesel engines as well as the various components of mobile industrial equipment
• Use, competently, both hand and power tools in order to carry out repairs according to manufacturer’s specifications
• Read and understand work orders, prepare estimates, and interpret technical manuals
• Write service reports, diagnose the cause of failures and keep service analysis records
• When fully competent in all phases of general repairs, a Heavy Equipment Technician may specialize in any one of several areas of the trade such as fuel pumps and injectors, track equipment, engine overhaul, hydraulic controls, power shift transmissions and allied equipment
• Outstanding individuals may advance to service representatives and supervisory positions
• Be familiar with the work in related trades such as Machinist and Welder
• Perform assigned tasks in accordance with quality and production standards required by industry
Program Contact Details:
Contact a Student Advisor at the Office of the Registrar
Phone: 780-791-4801 or 1-800-251-1408 ext. 4801
As a comprehensive community college serving the residents of north-eastern Alberta, Keyano College offers a wide variety of certificate and diploma programs at three campuses, two in Fort McMurray and one in Fort Chipewyan, Alberta. Established in 1965, the College also offers degree programs through agreements with Athabasca University in Athabasca, Alberta and the University of Alberta, in Edmonton, Alberta.
Quality educational and training opportunities are available through three program divisions, Trades and Heavy Industrial, Academic and Career programs, and Community Upgrading.
Areas of Expertise
Keyano College specializes in oil sands related fields, University Studies program offering first or second year, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and Engineering Technology to name a few. Excellence Scholarship available to Grade 12 students achieving 80% or higher in the core Grade 12 courses. Recipients eligible to receive this scholarship will be granted the maximum tuition amount of $2,600.00.